Friday, August 26, 2011

First Impressions


It's hard to believe that we have only been here a day and a half and I already feel I am behind on my blog. Lots of things are happening all at once. I'll try and give you the good stuff.

We landed in Dubai after our 15 hour flight and then had to drive an hour to Abu Dhabi. It took 3 Volvo sedans to move all of us and our luggage from one city to the next. It was quite a circus and I'll spare you the details. We arrived in Abu Dhabi around 2 or 3 in the afternoon on Thursday, August 25. My concept of time was totally off so I can't remember exactly what time it was.

This suite is well suited for our family for a short stay. Jud and I have a large room all to ourself with our own full bath. The girls are in a room with two double beds and they also have a full bath. Poor Jethro's stuck out on the rollaway in the living room but I think he likes it that way so he can do what he wants to do after we are all in bed. We're on the 25th floor and have a fantastic view of the Corniche (reminds me of the Seawall in Galveston, only nicer). My only complaint is that the air is rather stale.

Tomorrow afternoon, we will move into some better, long term accommodations that will be more comfortable for us as we wait to find a villa. It's more like an efficiency apartment and is fully furnished. It even has pots and pans. It will be really nice to start cooking our own food again and getting settled.

This evening, we had dinner at Jud's boss's house. We'll call him Billy. Billy's wife and daughter were not at home yet. They're still stateside. Another of Jud's coworkers came. He's JJ. I met JJ years ago when Jud had to spend a few days in Louisiana working on a special drilling tool. That's when he worked with JJ in Nigeria. We had a great time getting to know everyone. We took a tour of Billy's villa because it's very similar to what we will be looking at in a few weeks for our own home.

Everybody is settling in quite nicely. Jud's so excited he can barely contain himself. I'm excited and anxious at the same time. As a woman, the culture is very different for me than it is for Jud. The girls are doing well as long as we manage the jet lag proactively. Jethro is making friends quickly. I think as long as he stays busy, he'll be OK. We will meet one family tomorrow that he met through Facebook. It turns out, they live across the street from our new hotel!

The whole country is taking a week off to celebrate the end of the Islamic holy month of Ramadan. This delays a lot of our forward processing to get a house, to get our visas, etc. I hope we can take advantage of the time and enjoy our new home in Abu Dhabi.

With love,
Joan

No comments:

Post a Comment